In 2016, Major League Baseball (MLB) and the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) joined together to form a charitable foundation with a mission of increasing participation in, and expanding access to, youth baseball and softball across the United States and internationally. Since its inception, the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation (YDF) has awarded millions of dollars in grants to community-based projects that encourage and empower youth through baseball and softball – on and off the field – in underserved communities. One of the YDF’s key initiatives, the Hank Aaron Invitational, was created and developed as the premier diversity-focused baseball development experience for high school age baseball players in the United States.
Board of Directors, Co-Presidents
- Leonor Colon, Senior Director, International & Domestic Player Operations, MLBPA
- Tony Reagins, Chief Baseball Development Officer, MLB
Board of Directors
- Jeff Fannell, President, Jeff Fannell & Associates
- Jeffrey Hammonds, Associate Director, Players Programs & Initiatives, MLBPA
- David James, VP, Baseball & Softball Development, MLB
- Xavier James, Chief Operating Officer, MLBPA
- Barbara McHugh, SVP, Audience Development & Marketing Operations, MLB
- Paul Misfud, VP, Head Baseball Operations Counsel, MLB
- Dave Winfield, Special Advisor to the Executive Director, MLBPA | Hall of Famer
- Jean Lee Batrus, Executive Director
- Diana Braverman, SVP, Controller, MLB
- Chris Brumm, SVP & Head Counsel, MLB
- Ben Freedman, Coordinator
- Julia Gaffin, VP & Deputy General Counsel, MLB
- Kasey Sanossian, VP & Deputy General Counsel, MLB
- Maggie Sullivan, Senior Coordinator
- Ken Griffey, Jr., Senior Advisor to the Commissioner, MLB | Hall of Famer
Baseball Tomorrow Fund History
During the 1999 World Series, the MLB and MLBPA announced its $10 million commitment that began the Baseball Tomorrow Fund. For nearly 20 years, the Baseball Tomorrow Fund supported field lighting, field renovation, players equipment and uniform projects.
In 2018, the Baseball Tomorrow Fund joined the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation to broaden efforts to increase participation in and expand access to baseball and softball. Currently all grantmaking activities are operated by the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development. There are no longer grants provided by the Baseball Tomorrow Fund.