HBCU Swingman Classic
The HBCU Swingman Classic, powered by the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation (YDF), is an annual All-Star experience for baseball student-athletes from Division-I programs at Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU). The inaugural philanthropic & educational event, which will center around an "All-Star" Game, will be held during 2023 MLB All-Star Week in July at T-Mobile Park, home of the Seattle Mariners. Major League Baseball and the Players Association co-operate the event.
The HBCU Swingman Classic will highlight the history and legacy of HBCU baseball programs while also providing 50 HBCU baseball players with the opportunity to showcase their talent on a national stage. The student-athletes will be selected by a committee that will include YDF Ambassador and Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr., representatives from MLB and MLBPA, and scouts.
HBCU Swingman Classic in the News
- December 7, 2022: Ken Griffey Jr, MLB launch HBCU baseball showcase at 2023 All-Star Game (ClutchPoints)
- December 7, 2022: Ken Griffey Jr., World Series champion Houston Astros announce HBCU baseball classics (HBCU Sports)
- December 7, 2022: Ken Griffey Jr, MLB announce Swingman Classic for HBCUs (HBCU Gameday)
- December 6, 2022: Baseball Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr., MLB And MLBPA Announce Inaugural 'HBCU Swingman Classic' (Black Enterprise)
- December 6, 2022: Ken Griffey Jr. helps bring HBCU Swingman Classic to 2023 All-Star festivities in Seattle (Seattle Times)
- December 6, 2022: Ken Griffey Jr., MLB and the MLBPA announce the inaugural "HBCU Swingman Classic" (MLB.com)