HBCU Swingman Classic
The HBCU Swingman Classic, powered by the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation (YDF), is an annual All-Star experience for baseball student-athletes from Division-I programs at Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU). The inaugural philanthropic and educational event, which will center around an "All-Star" Game, will be held during 2023 MLB All-Star Week on July 7 at T-Mobile Park, home of the Seattle Mariners. Major League Baseball and the Players Association co-operate the event.
The HBCU Swingman Classic will highlight the history and legacy of HBCU baseball programs while also providing 50 HBCU baseball players with the opportunity to showcase their talent on a national stage. The student-athletes will be selected by a committee that will include YDF Ambassador and Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr., representatives from MLB and MLBPA, and scouts.
HBCU Swingman Classic in the News
- March 17, 2023: Ken Griffey Jr. can still hit dingers, and Team USA was loving it
- March 15, 2023: Seattle gets ready for 2023 MLB All-Star Week
- February 16, 2023: Seven HBCU college baseball teams ready for the 2023 "Andre Dawson Classic" in New Orleans
- February 2, 2023: Events, details announced for All-Star Week in Seattle
- February 1, 2023: MLB launches 'UNDENIABLE,' an MLB Originals Series to honor the stories and legacy of the Negro Leagues
- December 7, 2022: Ken Griffey Jr, MLB launch HBCU baseball showcase at 2023 All-Star Game
- December 7, 2022: Ken Griffey Jr., World Series champion Houston Astros announce HBCU baseball classics